Ontario Southland Railway
Ontario Southland is an independent, locally-owned Canadian company.
Commencing in April 1994, Ontario Southland took over switching from CP and CN of the Petro Canada plant in Clarkson, (Mississauga) Ontario, located on the Canadian National Oakville Subdivision, a Joint Section also used by Canadian Pacific. Operations began using former TH&B 51 an upgraded EMD NW2. The contract was renewed until April 2008.
Ontario Southland went on from this modest beginning to
take over operation of the Guelph Junction Railway, owned by
From time to time OSR leased locomotives to shortlines
and industry for short periods as well as a longer lease
What's New? Updated December 31st, 2016
Below these recent photos are a number of sub-articles covering the
Former CN Cayuga Subdivision once heavily used by Norfolk
Southern predecessor Wabash to connect between Detroit
Mile 115.2 Cayuga spur at the abandoned CASO diamond east of Yarmouth
Trestle Mile 113.2 just east of New Sarum.
History and Photography of Individual Lines.
(Updated December 24, 2016)
A major expansion resulted from a unique opportunity when OSR took over the long-invisible Guelph Junction Railway owned by the City of Guelph and long leased to the Canadian Pacific Railway. When declining traffic caused the CPR to give up its lease Ontario Southland stepped in effective January 1, 1998 and they have not looked back since expanding operation and growing business with excellent service. An important missing link was completed when a short piece of the CPR Goderich Sub. was purchased by Guelph ensuring a connection to the City of Guelph jount switching industrial area in the northwest part of the city also served by Goderich and Exeter a shortline operating the Canadian National main line through Guelph. This resulted in far more competitive service and business has grown substantially.
181 leads southbound heading back downtown to set off
a lime car from the interchange GEXR/CN into the lower yard
St.George's Anglican Church 1879
(Updated December 23, 2016)
Salford diesel shop. Stored power in new siding at far left. Shown expanded.
A further expansion came about when the CPR decided to
shortline its Port Burwell Subdivision between Ingersoll and Tillsonburg.
The line had been abandoned December 25, 1987 beyond to Port Burwell.
This line connects with the CPR St.Thomas Subdivision at Ingersoll which
leads to Woodstock where it connects with the CPR Galt Subdivision main
OSR built a small diesel shop at Salford where a welcoming
township smoothed the way with lower taxes than elsewhere.
A new customer Future Transfer relocated to Tillsonburg
with a transload facility to expand its trucking operation. Unfortunately
OSR was unable to secure sufficient land on their line resulting in
them establishing their facility on the CNR Cayuga Subdivision which
had been shortlined and was operated by Trillium Railway subsidiary
St.Thomas and Eastern Ry. However OSR had an interchange with ST&E
which permitted CPR and CNR traffic to reach any customer.
Future Transfer established a second facility on the OSR which resulted in relocation of much of the traffic to this location.
(Updated December 23. 2016)
A major expansion came about the CPR shortlined its St.
Thomas Sub. and OSR leased it effective December 15, 2009.
The biggest gain traffic wise was the large CAMI automotive
assembly plant in Ingersoll which required another daily train.
Forest-like scene with 182-1620 hauling CAMI multilevels.
Excellent track work has long been the pride of OSR, not typical of many shortlines!
CN Cayuga Spur Tillsonburg - Delhi
Gallery OSR Rolling Stock
(Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2015 2016