Industry first arrived at Wagner's Point during 1883 when
Martin Wagner moved his canning factory from East Baltimore. Expansion of the
company town continued until in 1912 the cannery burned down, and to survive
Wagner sold off much of the property to the then-burgeoning petrochemical industry.
The Chesapeake and Curtis Bay Railroad Company arrived in 1915, later becoming
part of the Western Maryland.
As part of its northernmost reach to serve this industrial yard, the tiny C&CB
had connected with the B&O Seawall Branch on the left near the green switch
indicator. The photographer's location is designated by a red x on the map below.
"Chesapeake and Curtis Bay" is a surprisingly modest name for a railroad. So
many others of that era attracted investors via grand, aspirational names
like "Chesapeake, Curtis Bay and Pacific".