On the northeast corner of the town square.
Tom is a LaPlata Bulldog backer with the paw print out front to prove it. A St. Louis Cardinals fan as well, I've heard.
The pool table makes this cafe unique to the county.
The Green Theatre was used in 1937 for the celebration of the opening of the Post Office across the intersection.
Don Crawford enjoying the help of The Possibility Alliance
While downtown, I spotted some activity at the Green
Theatre. I inquired and found that The Possibility Alliance with
Ethan Hughes was helping with restortion work along the south wall this
day. I availed myself of the opportunity to take some photos of
A walk around the downtown square provides an opportunity to go into City Hall and say hello.
La Plata Mayor, Charlie Thompson, wearing a Missouri sweatshirt and an Iowa hat.
North Side of the Square with Grandma's on the far end.
South side of the square including Santa Fe Espresso and Silver Rails Gallery and Memorial Library.
Doneghy Victorian House, 301 N. Owensby St., La Plata, MO 63549, Built in 1895, Added to National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Next Door is: Gilbreath-McLorn Victorian House
, 225 N. Owensby St., La Plata, MO 63549, Built in 1896, Added to
National Registor of Historic Places in 1978. Tours by Appointment.
Contact Nancy Belfield at 660-216-9755 or 660-332-4224.
My photos of the Gilbreath-McLorn Victorian House: http://www.trainweb.org/carl/AirFestival2010/ToDo.html
East of Downtown is the La Plata Elevator, next to the former Wabash RR Line.
You'll nearly always see an Amish horse and buggy tied up at one of the hitching posts around town.
The La Plata Lumber Company on a rainy day.
"The La Plata Oil Company" is still visible on this abandoned filling station.
Next Page, or
Click the Chapter below that you want to skip to.
0. Table of Contents |
1. Depot Inn & Suites, La Plata, MO |
2. Amtrak Station, La Plata, MO |
3. Silver Rails Gallery and Memorial Library |
4. Chris Guenzler Millionth Mile Lookout at the Depot Inn & Suites |
5. Amish Country west of La Plata on Hwy. 156 |
6. Downtown La Plata, Missouri, Including Santa Fe Espresso, Grandma's Home Cookin', City Hall and other photo ops in town. |
7. Silver Rails Event Center |
8. Atlanta, Missouri |
9. West Winery, Macon, Missouri |
10. Columbia Star Dinner Train, Columbia, Missouri |
11. Locust Creek Covered Bridge State Historic Site and Danube Dr. Barn |
[ Top of This Page
| Rail Travel Writing and Photography Workshop
| Other Rail Reports by Carl Morrison
| Silver Rails Country.com