Acting as history's bookend, B&O's second train station in Sykesville
(the red brick building at distant left) is now occupied by a restaurant.
Conversely, B&O's first station started life as a restaurant (tavern)
and 47-room hotel; it had been situated to the left of where the blue-shirted
man is standing.
That first station survived almost 40 years sandwiched precariously between
the tracks and the river until the huge flood of 1868 swept it, and much
of the town, away. If it looks like there is not enough room for a hotel,
be aware that the river has been rerouted by floods and man's efforts.
For future reference, note the purple building at distant center: The original
alignment followed the green line west and tracked adjacent to that building.
Links to older pics:
tavern in 1858, looking west,
same plus info