|By far, in the history
of the Ulster and Delaware Railroad, the 4-6-0 type locomotive,
commonly known as the "Ten Wheeler" type, was the most popular type
on the line. Twenty-four locomotives of this type were owned by the
railroad. The first was purchased in 1892 and had great success.
Large orders were placed between 1899 and 1907 and eventually the
larger ten wheelers replaced most of the older and smaller
locomotives. They were also the only locomotives to serve the
U&D successor, the New York Central, and worked on the Catskill
Mountain Branch for several more years, the last U&D ten wheeler
was scrapped in 1949.