The Map 3A
quadrant of the Rahway Valley Railroad covers the railroad in
the vicinity of the Liberty Avenue grade crossing. The Rahway
Valley Railroad was constructed through this portion in 1905.
At the time of the railroad's construction Liberty Avenue was
known as Springfield Road.
station, known as Katemiller, was established
here in 1905 but was later renamed Arion in
1907. Arion remains on tax records until as late as 1918.
The Battle Hill Golf Club was located in
this portion until residential development began in the 1930's
Industrial development began in this
portion in the 1950's and brought about the construction of
Western Electric (telephone equipment) and Breeze Eastern
(helicopter parts). Breeze, although it had a railroad siding,
never was an RV shipper. The siding itself was never connected
to the mainline.
Rahway Avenue, possibly named after the
RV, was constructed between Liberty Avenue and Morris Avenue
to allow further development in that