by David Pershick and R. L. Kennedy
Collection of David Pershick
The Belleville and Point Anne Railway was built under
Ontario charter # O S -3 EDW VII chapter 90-12. The application was made
at the spring session of the legislature in 1903 to incorporate as the
Point Anne Railway by the promoters
the Belleville Portland Cement Co. and was approved with the title Belleville
and Point Anne Ry. Co. Capital was fixed at $50,000.00 and power was given
to issue bonds at $10,000.00. The line was to be 3 1/4 mi. in length and
constructed by C.B. English and Co. The line started at the eastern end
of the G.T.R. yard and ended at the shore of the Bay of Quinte at Point
Anne. The line was laid with 56 lb. rails and was expected to be completed
by December 31, 1904. Belleville city council decided to sell to the cement
company the iron rails from the defunct Belleville
Traction Co. According to J.W. Griswold, engineer the only work
left to be done was the bridge over Bells Creek being of 5 spans of 15
ft. 6 in. The line was solely for the business of the cement company.
map showing former connection in Belleville to abandoned right of
One of two steam locomotives used in early years
by Point Anne Quarries Ltd.
Canada Cement Co. unnumbered 40-ton electric locomotive.
Length body 29' 1" Length overall 31' 1"
Thurlow Railway was changed to diesel in 1950, while later still, CNR and CPR engines were allowed to operate over it one at a time. CNR movements were controlled by the switchtender at Belleville Yard entered the line at Mile 217.3 of the Ganonoque Subdivision, just east of Belleville. In later years control of the line was by a unique method. There were two switch locks on the junction switch and when the CPR engine was using the line their lock was applied and CNR crews were thus made aware and were prohibited from using the line! The same method applied when CNR crew was using the line. Simple as you can get.
Canada Cement Co. 1, GE 50-ton #29912 10/1948
Note: Sold 11/1973 Domtar Newsprint, Dolbeau, Que.
Canada Cement Co. Ltd. 2 (2nd)
GE 50-ton 30747 5/1950
Note: Transferred 1975 to St. Constant plant.
A plant switcher remained in use by Canada Cement La Farge Ltd. until it closed in 1974. The property was sold to Point Anne Quarry Co. Aggregates Division of Standard Industries which also controlled Consolidated Sand & Gravel. They began quarrying operations in April 1975 and resumed operating over the old Thurlow line to the mainline using an old diesel bought from the CPR, an MLW 660 HP S3, 6543, which could handle a maximum of only 7 loads up the grade. Traffic was destined to a CS&G facility at Mile 185, Cherrywood and was expected to reach 50 cars per day. Unit trains of 100 ton rapid discharge hopper cars with a turning loop and units equipped with slow speed control were proposed, all of which was to be leased from CanPac Leasing, a CPR subsidiary. It never happened. (CanPac had briefly leased them the 6543 before it was bought on July 4,1975.) The quarry operation was expected to last 50 years with CS&G closing their Paris, Ont. pit. It didn't last that long, not by a long shot, at least not by rail, which ended after a few years.
Point Anne Quarry 20004 acq. July 4/1975 (ex CP 6543) S-3 MLW 81199 8/1955
Photos wanted! Anything on the Thurlow Railway. PPP