Canadian Pacific Railway
Look at the fantastic restoration of these two old retired
and long-neglected units. It would be great if they were restored to operation
for special events. Alco 244 units have a unique sound.
4723 displayed Farnham, Quebec since 1995. M-636 MLW M6031-23 9/1970
4563 M-630 MLW M-6030-10 11/1969
Two views of 1418 and 1424 GMD FP7A's displayed in a nice
park setting near the CPR station in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Built by General Motors Diesel as 4060 A308 2/52 and 4068 A369 8/52, re-numbered 1418 and 1424 and re-geared from 65 mph to 89 mph for new fast passenger train The Canadian, these "covered wagons" travelled millions of miles across Canada. 1424 was returned 9/65 to 4068 for Montreal suburban (commuter) service. Both were sold 9/28/78 along with other units to VIA Rail Canada; 4068 again became 1424 3/79. They last ran in August and July of 1983 after which they and a number of other F units were retired and bought back c.12/83 by CPR as per original sale agreement. Most were dismantled for parts however, three were saved and put on display including 4038 in Minnedosa, MB. One unit remains in use: 4069/1425 was acquired by the West Coast Railway Association. Story about how these photos got here.
West Coast Railway Association
Former CP 4069 FP7 taken in June 2000 at the BC Rail shops
in North Vancouver, BC.
The 4069 replaced the CPR 2860 on the Squamish excusrion
run since the 2860 was in disrepair while the
4069 taken exactly one year later in 2001 is Northbound at Porteau Cove at MP 26.5 of the Squamish Sub.
4069 (ex CPR 1425/4069) shown at the former PGE Squamish
BC station now part of the West Coast Railway Heritage Park. It operates
on the Whistler Mountaineer of Rocky Mountaineer Vacations. January
CP 4459 F7B in March 1998 at the CP yard in Port Coquitlam,
BC on her way to the WCRA Museum.
Note: This unit originally preserved in 1983 by APRA
(Alberta Railway Museum). A change of collection policy towards CNR equipment
saw it go 1988 to display at Museum of the Highwood, High River, AB. When
this musuem shut down
6503 sold 11/1983 to United
Grain Growers in Vancouver.
8000 first road diesel. (13 unit order 8000-8012) Baldwin/CLC
DRS44-1000 73967/2530 12/1948
6539 MLW 81195 7/1955 retired 1/1983 exchanged for failed
6546 sold 6/1979 to
6591 restored in original block lettering. Preserved and
operated at RMEO Smiths Falls. October 21, 1994
One of the last three (8900 8904 8905) of 21 Canadian
Locomotive Company Fairbanks-Morse H24-66 2400 HP 75 MPH Train Master
units in use, already retired 6/1976. (Rest assured the CPR got the last
mile out of these units, first at Alyth yard and then St.Luc; most had
been retired in 1968.) #2922 6/1956 Note: Traction motors from
eight Train Masters were
Displayed at the entrance to Heritage Park in Calgary
in its original paint scheme.
NOTE: ALCO S2's cost $115,000 (115 tons) with duties, while new G5 4-6-2's cost $88,000
First diesel preserved
7000 one-of-a-kind first CPR diesel locomotive (first
diesel was 9006 self-propelled car 1935)
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2017