TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Old Time Trains

 

Canadian Pacific Railway

The Canadian

Inaugurated on April 24, 1955 replacing The Dominion
as the premier transcontinental passenger train.

Photographs as credited.
Original artifacts: Old Time Trains Archives


Stainless steel rolling stock.


NEW additions

These are duplicated in geographical sequence below

 

The Canadians passing. Canmore, Alberta. November 6, 1960 Robert J. Sandusky
Note the trainman looking back behind observation car Yoho Park inspecting the passing train.


Last runs of The Canadian 1978

VIA No.3 1412_4478_1432 with the last westbound run of The Canadian
from Windsor Station Montreal 10/28/1978.

The following day, Sunday, October 29th. No.3 became
Super Continental
with CN equipment and operated by CPR crews.
The Canadian numbers 1 and 2 operated only out of Toronto.
The Super Continental no longer operated out of Toronto.

Note that the units, and others, were all sold 9/28/1978 to VIA Rail
as CP was late in reaching agreement for VIA to take over CP trains.

Under VIA The Canadian (later Canadian) would be on and off
over the years until abandonment of the main line west of Ottawa.

No. 3 The Canadian ready to leave Windsor Station, Montreal.
Posing are: Conductor Tom O'Connell, Official Louis Fortin,
Trainman Roger Lalonde, Flagman J.C.Drouin.

VIA No.3 1412_4478_1432 with the last westbound run of The Canadian
from Windsor Station Montreal 10/28/1978. View from opposite direction below.

Note the "Highway Yellow" pickup. This paint scheme was widely used for vehicles
as being highly visible. It's use was later discontinued as being carcinogenic!
Current school buses are a darker yellow and not lead paint.

 

VIA No.4 The Canadian 8579 eastbound through Arnprior 10/28/1978 Fred Clark

Note: This unit dispatched from Sudbury while arriving covered wagons worked
south to Toronto for tomorrow's The Canadian from there.


 

1412_14xx being serviced away from the station at Sudbury while train is being switched.
While the scene below is not The Canadian similar switching took place.

Busy scene as 7092 (MLW S2 #75867 3/1949) switches cars off #15 the Toronto section of the
Expo Limited
, onto #5 from Montreal for Vancouver. Sunday August 20, 1967 at 8.00 a.m. Ted Wickson


 

Main Gallery

 

Poster

Poster

Magazine advertisement.

Train brochure

Public Time Table front cover

 

Public time table rear cover


Display of equipment in advance.

Pre-inaugural cross-Canada display 1954 at CNE of equipment to be used on The Canadian.
Banff Park and Chateau Bienville.

It's August 1954 and Canadian Pacific has put a pair of its new Budd Company stainless steel passenger cars (Banff Park and Chateau Bienville) on public display in downtown Vancouver part of a seven week cross-Canada preview of its coming new flagship passenger train The Canadian during which time more than 200,000 people toured the cars staffed by 18 people and ending at the CNE in Toronto. Today, the yard still exists and is vital to the railway's Vancouver waterfront operations. The area where the coaches are on display has been redeveloped with new platforms to handle West Coast Express commuter trains. Behind it, the transit authorities Skytrain tracks are located as is the systems boarding platform. Also surviving are the station and adjacent building with the parking lot on top. The buildings behind remain but now house offices or condos. The tank car CGTX 8654 with the warning was used to haul tallow, which the railway continues to do to this day from a nearby refractory. Sadly, the CP box car in front of the tank car with the wording "Spans the World" told of an international conglomerate that no longer exists. CPR/Steve Morris Collection

 


Montreal - Sudbury

Montreal - Ottawa

M&O Subdivision

The Canadian leaving Windsor Station on the fifth trip of this new train April 28, 1955.
Two photographs Canadian Pacific Railway/Steve Morris collection

1424-1919 hauling The Canadian towards Sudbury on the first leg of it journey across Canada.

No. 1 eng. 1402_1916 not long out of Windsor Station.

No. 1 engine 1414 westbound passing Westmount Tower. October 10, 1963 Peter Cox
Note the former silk car in Tuscan red on headend carrying storage mail for Calgary.

1432_19xx at Westmount (Montreal) March 20, 1965

FP9A 1410 (1405-1415 11 units) 1750 hp GMD A594 4/1954
No.1 The Canadian Windsor Station 4/17/1969 Joseph Testagrose Collection

Note:
Looks like two deadhead sleepers on the headend.


Last runs of The Canadian 1978

VIA No.3 1412_4478_1432 with the last westbound run of The Canadian
from Windsor Station Montreal 10/28/1978.

The following day, Sunday, October 29th. No.3 became
Super Continental
with CN equipment and operated by CPR crews.
The Canadian numbers 1 and 2 operated only out of Toronto.
The Super Continental no longer operated out of Toronto.

Note that the units, and others, were all sold 9/28/1978 to VIA Rail
as CP was late in reaching agreement for VIA to take over CP trains.

Under VIA The Canadian (later Canadian) would be on and off
over the years until abandonment of the main line west of Ottawa.

No. 3 The Canadian ready to leave Windsor Station, Montreal.
Posing are: Conductor Tom O'Connell, Official Louis Fortin,
Trainman Roger Lalonde, Flagman J.C.Drouin.

1410_1914 No.1 westbound with standard cars in consist. Dorval. September 6, 1965 Marty Bernard Collection

1423_19xx with No.1 at Dorval. Bruce Chapman Collection

1432 with an RS-10 sandwiched between it and another A unit with No. 1 coming to a stop at Dorval.
January 1, 1970

No 1 eng 1412 out of Montreal enroute to Vancouver.
Ste Anne Bellevue, Quebec. March 2, 1974 Ron Visockis

M&O Subdivision

1406 leads a GP9 and RS-10 with a short winter train. Consist will increase in Sudbury when Toronto section met.
East of Hudson, Quebec. 2-3/1978 Eric Clegg

1409 with a B unit and another A unit with typical 6 car winter consist. Rigaud, PQ. Feb-Mar. 1978 Eric Clegg

Two views coming and going. VIA Rail will take over CPR trains later in the year.

1413 leads two other units passing Hudson. February or March, 1978 Eric Clegg


 

1400 (ex 4099) FP7A 1500 hp GMD A520 4/1953 St.Luc shop track for The Canadian.
February 2, 1975 Ron Visockis


Ottawa Terminals

Hurdman - Deep Cut - Ottawa Union Station - Hull - Hull West - Wamo - Ottawa West

No. 1 engine 1417 from Montreal on the M&O Subdivision just coming up to Deep Cut where CNR trackage rights
started. Line on the right is the CNR Alexandria Subdivision, which is the line that the 1417 is about to enter.
Signal 868 is 86.8 miles from Vaudreuil. Old wooden decrepit CNR roundhouse on the far right at Ottawa East.
Ian Taylor August 1958


Ottawa Union Station and Ottawa (new) Station
Change between stations effective 12.01 a.m. Sunday, July 31, 1966

1419-1422 No.1 westbound from Montreal to Sudbury. Track two Ottawa Union Station.
Sunday, October 4, 1959

Number 1 led by 1404_1903_1409 westbound on track 4 Ottawa Station. CNR cars at right are on track 5,
a yard track. Note the white wagon used only for ice for air conditioning. Six 300 lbs. blocks would be loaded into
underslung bunkers. Parlor cars took 18 blocks, almost 3 tons! No easy task. Further, it was common for two carmen
to go through a car and a half of ice per 8 hour shift! Smaller ice, used for drinking water was handled by the "ice man".

FP9A 1411 leads The Canadian with a short consist. 11/171976 T.Grumley/Joseph Testagrose Collection

1417 leads No. 1 at Ottawa. May 30, 1971 Roger Puta

VIA No.3 1412_4478_1432 with the last westbound run of The Canadian
from Windsor Station Montreal 10/28/1978. View from opposite direction below.

Note the "Highway Yellow" pickup. This paint scheme was widely used for vehicles
as being highly visible. It's use was later discontinued as being carcinogenic!
Current school buses are a darker yellow and not lead paint.

 


Hull

No. 1 crossing the Alexandra bridge into Hull.

1418_1415 No. 1 at Hull 3/04/1966 Bruce Chapman


Ottawa West

1418_1416 Number 1 stopping at Ottawa West. 6/27/1966 Bruce Chapman

1418 leads No. 1 in a snow storm while 8573 waits to go follow him to Ottawa Union Station for No. 234.
Ottawa West 1/24/1966 Bruce Chapman


Carleton Place Subdivision

Ottawa West - Britannia - Nepean - Stittville - Carleton Place.

1418_1901 No. 1 at Carruthers Ave. Mile 0.3 Carleton Place Sub. 5/31/1966 Bruce Chapman

No.1 1402_1903_1429 with 13 cars coming and going westbound at Stittville, Ont. August 28, 1965
Two photos: Clayton Jones

Note: No 1, “The Canadian”, 13 cars arrives Ottawa. Saturday, August 28, 1965
1402,1909,1429 – 280753, 3003, 4706, UGANDA, 509, 122, 125, CHATEAU LEVIS,
MACDONALD MANOR, ALHAMBRA, CHATEAU RIGAUD, DAWSON MANOR, WATERTON PARK.
Consist courtesy Doug Phillips

Waterton Park brings up the rear on this dark and rainy day at Mile 14.2 Carleton Place Sub.

Note: In the background is Bradley's General Store at 1518 Main Street built circa 1875 as (William) Alexander's hotel it became a general store circa 1919. Later years, it was various other businesses until it was destroyed by fire mid-day Monday, September 9, 2013. Efforts to preserve this historic brick building failed and Ottawa (Stitt(s)ville being part of the city by 2001), approved demolition which happened July 28, 2014.


Chalk River Subdivision

Carleton Place - Almonte - Arnprior - Renfrew - Pembroke - Chalk River

VIA No.4 The Canadian 8579 eastbound through Arnprior 10/28/1978 Fred Clark
Note: This unit dispatched from Sudbury while arriving covered wagons worked
south to Toronto for tomorrow's The Canadian from there.

No.1 eng. 1406 with a 1900 B unit in Script lettering. Renfrew with both order boards on.
Mile 58.8 Chalk River Sub. August 18, 1967 Bill Linley/Bruce Chapman Collection


North Bay Subdivision

Chalk River - Mattawa - North Bay

Cartier Subdivision

North Bay - Romford - Sudbury - Cartier


 

Toronto-Sudbury

MacTier Subdivision

Toronto - MacTier

Parry Sound Subdivision

Mactier - Parry Sound - Romford

 

1410 and another A unit sitting on the outbound shop track at John Street in Toronto soon to leave for
Union Station to handle No. 11 to Sudbury. Bruce Chapman Collection

While not showing The Canadian Budd built equipment these two photos are significant as they show the wash rack equipment installed at Toronto Coach Yard (John Street) for the stainless steel cars.

Spanner article June 1956

No.11 engine 1428_1427 just out of Union Station passing CNR Spadina roundhouse westbound on Galt Sub.
Consist: baggage-dormitory, two U class tourist sleepers, Skyline, coach, dining car, four sleepers, and Park car.
First week of schedule. 4/28/1955 Robert J. Sandusky

Number 11 passing Bathurst Street approaching Union Station. Early years circa 1960's.

No. 11 engine 4083 and an RS-10 under Bathurst Street bridge in the Toronto Terminals Railway
plant westbound towards Cabin D and Tecumseh Street tower on the Galt Sub. enroute to West Toronto
where it will change to the Mac Tier Subdivision on its way to Sudbury. 1967 L.B.Chapman Collection

The two Sudbury sections of The Canadian meet at West Toronto, On Time at 1725 after No.12 (right)
has brought passengers from Vancouver, 3000 miles away! No.11 has RS-10's 8477 and 8482.
August 12, 1967. Robert J. Sandusky

1432 and a B unit power northbound No.11 stopping at West Toronto depot. July 2, 1957
. Toronto Public Library/James V. Salmon Collection

Operator is hooping up orders to the headend. Freight trains got their orders at the Diamond tower.
Viceroy Rubber plant in background. Billboards advertise Toronto General Trusts and
New Milemaster Gasolene by Cities Service.

No. 11 northbound sits at West Toronto with units on the Mac Tier Sub. and train still on Galt Sub.
MLW A unit and most of train in CP Rail Action Red. RS-10 and lightweight steel painted baggage car
in old colours. Compare this view with the one above. Team Track area full of Interline Forwarder
trucks in blue paint scheme. Note overhead crane near end of track. Depot in right background.
Track in right foreground is eastward track of Galt Subdivision. Check out roof of shack!

ENLARGE

No. 12 1421_1418 (first run of The Canadian) southbound at Mile 5.2 Mac Tier Sub. approaching Weston 4/27/1965
Shot from the then new Highway 401, just east of Weston Road.
Alvin H. Brown/James A. Brown Collection

#12 engine 1801 southbound at Woodbridge with a typical winter consist hauled by
a very un-typical unit, E-8 1801. April 1960. Randy Masales Collection/Brian Switzer

No.12 engine 4095 southbound stopping at Alliston. 1970
John Freyseng/James A. Brown Collection


Sudbury

Note: All trains operate over Cartier Sub. between Romford and Sudbury 6.6 miles.

1412_14xx being serviced away from the station at Sudbury while train is being switched.
While the scene below is not The Canadian similar switching took place.

Busy scene as 7092 (MLW S2 #75867 3/1949) switches cars off #15 the Toronto section of the
Expo Limited
, onto #5 from Montreal for Vancouver. Sunday August 20, 1967 at 8.00 a.m. Ted Wickson

 


Algoma District

Schreiber Division

Cartier - Chapleau - White River - Schreiber - Fort William

All photographs D'Arcy Furlonger unless otherwise credited.

1416 No.2 running 16 hours late eastbound at Schreiber. c.1970

#1 The Canadian arriving with 1410_1406 newly painted. March 1974.
Note the Business Car behind baggage car.

The business car is the LAURENTIAN. Buck Crump used it for a number of years after retiring, yet stayed a CP board member. The car would be held in Calgary and he would use the car to go to Montreal or Toronto depending on where the meetings were held. One of my early jobs at CP was to pick Mr. Crump up at his home and drive him down to the car amongst other trips as instructed by the Division Superintendent. Doug Phillips

Waterton Park brings up the rear of a short winter consist this day in November 1973.

Waterton Park is again on the tailend with 1411_1404 on the headend. September 1973.

This summer consist is enlarged with several extra coaches (and a third unit) account handling extra traffic accommodation of Junior Rangers travelling to various Provincial Parks under a Ministry of Natural Resources program that for many years saw hundreds of school children taking part in this summer outdoor program. Power is 1404-8566 (RS-10)-1432.


1418 leads No. 1 westbound at Red Rock. 5/1971 Wolf Kirchmeir

1416 leads No. 1 westbound near Hurkett July, 1972 Wolf Kirchmeir

1418 leads No.1 westbound at Thunder Bay 7/1970 Wolf Kirchmeir

 


WESTERN LINES

Thunder Bay - Winnipeg - Regina - Medicine Hat - Calgary

 

Great shot! 4211_4213 and No. 1 passing each other on the prairies.
Doug Hately
Digital enhancement: Gordon Kennedy


Calgary - Vancouver

9th Avenue. CPR station at left with CPR Palliser Hotel in background.
Station demolished June 1966 for Palliser Square and Husky Tower development.
A joint Marathon Realty (CPR) and Huskey Oil project.
Yale Hotel and Empire Hotel at right. Circa early 1950's.
Calgary Public Library digital postcard collection.

CPR's Palliser Hotel 133 9th Avenue. Opened June 1914.

No.2 1418_1404 The Canadian with RDC for Edmonton and two units on refueling track.
Looking east. April 19, 1969

Looking west from the new Palliser Square office tower building. April 19, 1969.

Note Robin Hood Mills Ltd. flour mill demolished 1973.


1409_1403 with silver painted 40 foot passenger service box car on headend. March 26, 1973


Canmore_Banff_Lake Louise_Field_Stoney Creek_Glacier

The Canadians passing. Canmore, Alberta. November 6, 1960 Robert J. Sandusky
Note the trainman looking back behind observation car Yoho Park inspecting the passing train.

May 1955 Nicholas Morant

NOTE: The mountain in the background is in Banff National Park and was at the time (1946-1979) named
Mount Eisenhower in honour of the World War II US general Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Its original name when first discovered in 1858 by explorer James Hector was Castle Mountain
so named for its appearance. It was rightly restored to its historical name in November of 1979.

Banff station Circa 1980's Leo Bruce Hempell

No. 1 engine 1421 stopping at Banff, Alberta with the order board on. Bruce Chapman Collection

1416 leads a GP9 passenger unit and another A unit. Lake Louise, Alberta unique log station.
James Brown/Joseph Testagrose Collection

1400 leading near Field, BC. Trailing units are GP9 8513 and unknown B and A units. 7/29/1974
Note: Passenger service box car next to the power is a through bulk mail car Calgary-Vancouver.
Previously this car moved on The Dominion until it was discontinued in February 1966.
Joseph Testagrose Collection

Train 605 engine 4563 in the clear at Ottertail Mile 8.2 Mountain Subdivision (west of Field Mile 0.0)
Three photographs: John Leeming

No. 2 engine 1412 with 4072 trailing eastbound at Ottertail is what 605 was meeting.

The Canadian is passing 5582 second unit on 605.


 

One of the most famous photographs of The Canadian crossing the Stoney Creek bridge.
Mile 77. 7 Mountain Subdivision Canadian Pacific Railway

No.2 eng. 8515 in Script paint scheme leads a B and A unit in CP Rail Action Red.
Mile 85.5 Glacier, BC in Glacier National Park established 1886.

Note fresh ballast not yet tamped. Service work cars behind dome car. Track motorcar near station.

 


Vancouver

No.1 The Canadian is just arriving from its cross Canada journey led by passenger GP9's 8520_8515
with passenger F9B unit 1907, storage mail box car and stainless steel Budd-built equipment. April 13, 1969.

Vancouver Station at the waterfront on West Cordova Street.

Travellers journeys are beginning as Number 1 leaves Vancouver powered by 1412 and THREE B units!
Seen here passing between Dunlevy and Gore Streets. September 1968. E. Deane Motis Collection.

Note the twin searchlights on roof of lead unit used to light up scenery for passenger experience.

Note Woodward's department store tower in background. Opened by Charles Woodward in 1902
at 101 West Hastings Street and Abbot Street, at 700,000 sq.ft. It closed in 1994.


1421 showing off its twin searchlights on The Canadian to entertain passengers in The Rockies.


AM Road" 4070 and 4067 with the Silver Streak during filming of 1976 comedy-thriller movie by the same name.
It involved a train trip across America from Los Angeles to Chicago.
Fictional AM Road was created when Amtrak refused use of its name.
Calgary L.B.Chapman Collection

Note: Filming was done at various locations including in Alberta as well as at Toronto Yard,
along the Havelock Subdivision and at Union Station where the runaway wreck scene took place.
All-in-all this was an enjoyable movie, not too far fetched. Richard Pryor provided much of the comedy.

This was the only time CP's Budd built stainless steel equipment was used for a movie.


Stainless steel rolling stock.

 



Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2016 2017