Facebook Page
Old Time Trains

What's New
~ Articles ~ Stories ~ Archives ~ Photographs ~ Preservation ~ Library ~ Home

Toronto Transportation Commission

Initially buses were used on low ridership routes that did not warrent the expense of laying streetcar tracks.
A major expansion of the TTC's area came about with the creation of Metropolitan Toronto which took in several smaller towns and villages adjacent to Toronto just as had happened decades earlier with numerous annexations by Toronto. There was a compulsory acquisition of all independent bus lines within Metro.

Humberside bus route
Early doubledeck buses.

Looking in the opposite direction from the south side of Dundas Street West in front of the old West Toronto City Hall.

The TTC Runnymede bus came from Bloor Street where it wyed in the intersection, via Runnymede Road and Annette Street and had recently been rerouted to loop on streets via Mavety Street, Dundas, Keele and Annette. Schedule sign on far pole. The Lambton bus looped via Anneette, Mavety and went west on Dundas St.W. to Lambton Avenue (Prince Edward Drive) having been extended there recently from the Lambton House hotel at the Humber River. This was a separate fare service operated for the Township of York and in later years used Gray Coach Lines buses. It replaced the Lambton car abandoned August 18,1928. Note the drinking water fountain, common on city streets for many years. Now, you could die of thirst looking for one!

Early buses looked like this pneumatic-tire White Motor Company model 50A, first of three just acquired, TTC 16.
November 20, 1924. City of Toronto Archives TTC Collection 3554


Old Time Trains © 2014