Recent years history
Union Station Rail Corridor USRC
City of Toronto purchased Union Station in 2000.
Garrison Point with 29 and 35 storey highrises on Ordnance St. (right
angle deadend off Strachan Ave.)
GO 611 shoving westbound towards flyunder beyond new footbridge. View in opposite direction is below.
VIA 6454 deadhead equipment off No.2 Canadian on the way to VIA TMC
in Mimico Yard. July 15, 2017
CN 3150 RS-18 Tempo unit leads train westbound to London. New pedestrian
overpass leads from Union Station.
Ontario Northland operated daily passenger trains including
the night Northland for many years via the CN Bala Sub.
ONR 1980 original TEE Train locomotive arriving as
No. 121 Northlander via the CN Newmarket Subdivision
ONR 1984 with former TEE deadhead equipment heads west to VIA Toronto
Maintenance Centre in Mimico Yard. 8/1985
VIA Rail Canada
VIA Rail replaced CNR and CPR in providing passenger service starting in 1976 and in the years following this, both railways moved their offices out a little at a time. The biggest change to the railway scene was outside the TTR property although adjoining it seamlessly. It came with the removal of the CNR Spadina roundhouse and coach yard replaced by VIA's own facility at CNR Mimico Yard, as well as closing of the CPR's John Street roundhouse, car shop and coach yard.
CN No. 5 VIA's Super Continental westbound to Vancouver.
The creation of GO Transit commuter trains on the CNR between Oakville and Pickering effective May 1967 began a reversal of declining train movements which further increased in years to come with the addition of five new routes on both CNR and CPR. This increased traffic resulted in a number of changes over the years. From GO's inception the ticket and waiting concourse was located in the arrivals area of the station underneath the Great Hall. This space was originally known as the Exit Concourse for intercity passengers and it reverted to its original use following GO's move August 2, 1979 into a new GO Transit concourse located in the basement of the East Wing. Among the changes made to Union Station to accommodate this new concourse was the closing of the original 1954 TTC subway entrance located opposite the LCBO. Two new subway entrances were built at the north end of the new concourse, closing off the east part of the lower level driveway from Bay Street originally built for vehicular traffic and taxis. This area is now called the moat and is scheduled for extensive commercial redevelopment. The Post Office had occupied the East Wing since 1920 and moved out in the 1970s. The upper four floors of the East Wing are now occupied by Scotiabank, although they are expected to vacate the main floor in 2010, when that space will become public for the first time since the station was built. Scotiabank's lease of the top three floors expires in 2016, when it is expected that the space will be needed for further GO expansion. The GO concourse will change after the renovation of Union Station. It will be on the same level as the TTC mezzanine so people won't have to climb those dozen steps when exiting the subway station. Meanwhile GO has expanded further into the basement area underneath the train shed. By 2014, a continuous level concourse will extend from Bay to York Streets, with VIA occupying the centre portion.
This increase in trains eventually resulted in a small expansion of the train shed adding two more tracks as seen in this September 1979 photo by Ted Wickson.
CN 8831 westbound on CN Highline past new construction.6/12/2007 Clayton Langstaff
Another expansion in 2009 (opened May 11th.) added another platform to squeeze in more tracks for GO. June 22.2009
GO Highway Coaches
Initially, GO buses (1909, 1908, 1431 shown here)
simply used the south side of Front St. W. in front of Union Station.
Finally, on July 1, 2000 after years of negotiations, the City of Toronto purchased the Union Station, CPX Building and the Toronto Terminals Railway itself, for $55 million. This sum included settlement of a long-disputed lease of the city-owned land. Later, the tracks were sold to GO Transit and Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC) was created. The TTR remains the legal federal railway operating the USRC as well as Union Station under contract to the owners. Note: Effective May 1, 2009 the City of Toronto took over the day-to-day operation of the Union Station (not USRC) from the TTR.
The first major change was the demolition of the former Canadian Pacific Express facility and office building at 141 Bay Street. Following closure of the Express operation automobile parking took over use of the ground level while the track level tracks lay abandoned. The office building was rented out, the last tenant being Budget Car and Truck Rental.
Canadian Pacific Express 137 & 141 Bay Street. August 1, 2001 R.L.Kennedy
Demolition of the 18 door dock is well underway by
GO Union Station Bus Terminal
East end of platform tracks 1 and 2 Pedestrian walkway over Bay Street is to left of wall. June 20/2005 R.L.Kennedy
View towards Scott Street Tower. June 20, 2005 R.L.Kennedy
Double slip switch (a.k.a. puzzle switch) January 9, 2010. Clayton Langstaff
Looking west towards Bay Street. November 2006 Dan Dell'Unto
Yonge Street in foreground. Note Canada
Post mail truck and Beck taxi both northbound on Bay Street.
On to: Renovation Union Station
Back to: Earlier History
(Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2014 2019 2020 2021 2022