Canadian Pacific Railway
Yard Engine Gallery 2
1000 (ex Soo 1207/Milw 702
EMD #20046) SW1200 became the first official "Daughter" slug
1010 (ex 6700 SW8)
first CP unit converted 6/94 (except for 1534) with St.L&H 1625
on the hump.
Beginning in 1994 the creation of Mother and Daughter sets of paired units and slugs were put together. Mothers were modified from trailing GP9's, while slugs were converted from failed yard switchers, mostly 6700's (SW8 and SW900) and 8100's (SW1200RS). Later, further modifications came about whereby remote control was added to them and some sets were assigned to the Pulldown and other yard and local jobs. Remote control eliminated the engineer on the hump and pulldown jobs and eventually, one man remote control operation came to the hump.
Is this unit confused about its identity? Daughter 1012
is clearly ex 6708! May 9, 1996 L.B.Chapman
6713 later renumbered 1015.
1023 (ex 1272/8116) SW1200RS GYO and hump in the background. 3/19/1996 L.B.Chapman
No longer a hump leader, GP7u 1502 Ogden 12/1980 (ex
8421 A508 5/1953) became in 1994 a "mother" for
Remote control equipped 1537 GP9u Angus 3/82 (ex 8495 A-693 1/1955)
Once again changes to the hump power came about in 1999, this time Hump Control Cab units were converted for use with pairs of SD40-2 units. These are for the remote control receiver only and do not have cab operating controls or traction motors. Three pairs of used SD40-2 units 5476-5481 ex GATX, ex NS nee SOU, were assigned, they are high short hood units (that originally operated long hood forward!) with blanked cabs that had previously been leased from GATX for road service.
Hump Control Cab 1150 rebuilt 6/1999 from SW1200RS 1214 as a non-powered remote control car to work with SD40's 5480 and 5481 (ex GATX/NS 3249, 3251 high nose) as trail only units. This was followed by 1151 (ex 7400) another failed unit rebuilt 7/1999 to work with 5478 and 5479 (ex 3246, 3248). Following a long wait for a suitable failed yard unit to convert, SOO 4003 an unused fuel tender itself rebuilt from a GP9, MILW 946, was rebuilt 12/2000 into 1152, a strange looking thing indeed! The third set 5476 and 5477 (ex 3250 and 3244) was controlled by a dead GP while waiting for the third Hump Control Cab.
1150 (ex 1214/8102) a non-powered control car outfitted
with usual flashing lights that signify an
Control Car 1151 (ex 1204/7400) with 5481 and SOO 789
July 9, 2000 L.B.Chapman
Strange looking, one-of-a-kind Control Car 1152 rebuilt
December 2000 from a long-stored fuel tender,
Here we see 1519 GP9u Ogden 3/1981 (ex 8489 GMD A687
10/1954) being used as a
5480 ex 3249 ex NS
3249 nee Sou 3249 and 5481
ex 3251 ex NS 3251 nee Sou 3251 acq. 5/1993
Three sets of units were assigned with two in service
at a time and one as spare. 5476 77 78 79 80 and 81.
Further change took place in 2003 when the 5400's were
re-assigned or retired and replaced by pairs of former
6621 (ex Soo 6621) SD40-2 EMD #837082-4 8/1984 January 24, 2003 L. B. Chapman
Remote control car 1159 for beltpack operation with 6623_6622 hump set. June 10, 2010 Bill Sanderson
1159 ex 8167 converted 1/2004
1153-1160 (8) all converted from SW1200RS retired units.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2015 2019