CPR Algoma District
Aerial view Schreiber 7/02/2013
Schreiber station and Division headquarters building. Looking west. January 1974 D'Arcy Furlonger
GP38-2 3122 in the latest paint scheme as Canadian Pacific Railway
returns to replace CP Rail.
View of various facilities in Nipigon. September 1969 Wolf Kirchmeir
M-286 a 1929 Packard inspection automobile photographed sometime during
WWII. Jim Masuda Collection.
A Jubilee in Schreiber? Amazing! Yes, in fact there was once two of these light 4-4-4's on the rugged Algoma District.
The 2923 and another F1 worked into Schreiber in the late 1940's in conjunction with the construction of the Ontario Hydro generation station in Hydro Bay, about three miles West of Terrace Bay and the Long Lac Pulp and Paper Co. pulp mill. The two were actually Western Lines engines assigned to Winnipeg to bring the construction workers to and from Fort William daily (a two coach train) on account of the lack of accommodations in Schreiber. There were no hotels, only the YMCA used by railroaders. They clear-cut an area of about four miles by four miles, built a dam, and then flooded this entire area to provide power for the pulp mill which was coming on line in 1948. This is now known as Hayes Lake which runs parallel to the C.P.R. from about mileage 113.0 to about 115.0 The mill changed its name to Kimberly Clark Pulp and Paper in 1958.
Business Car 3 was assigned to the Schreiber Division. It replaced 23
BC-23 Circa 1940's
One thing Schreiber has lots of is snow! This 1950 view is still typical as far as the white stuff goes.
Rolly Martin Country LINK
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2014 2015 2017