The text of the above historical marker is as follows:
The Cincinnati Union Terminal opened in March 1933 and integrated
rail travel in the city, which previously operated from five separate
passenger terminals. Built when rail travel was already in decline,
Union Terminal stopped operating as a passenger station in 1970.
Only during WWII was the terminal used in capacity with as many
as 34,000 people traveling through the building daily in 1944. As
part of preservation efforts, 14 mosaics depicting Cincinnati industry
of the 1930's by Winold Reiss were saved from the concourse and
moved to the Greater Cincinnati Airport. The restored Union terminal
became a museum center in November 1990 with the opening of the
renovated Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and new Cincinnati
History Museum. Cincinnati Union Terminal has been described as
one of the most outstanding examples of Art Deco train stations
in the nation and was listed on National Historic Places in 1972.
To read more, please visit http://library.cincymuseum.org/uthisthelp.htm