Southern Railway Vancouver Island
Southern Railway Vancouver Island - SVI
- Victoria - Esquimalt - Nanaimo - Parksville - Courtenay, BC (139.7 miles)
- Parksville - Port Alberni, BC (37 miles) --- currently out of service
- Wellcox Yard, Nanaimo, BC
- Junctions with other railroads:
- CP: via barge between Nanaimo and Tilbury (Delta), BC
- Radio frequencies:
- Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway incorporated on September 27, 1883.
- Railroad sold to CPR in 1905.
- Renamed E&N Railfreight in 1996.
- Port Alberni to Nanaimo section sold to (rest of line leased by) RailAmerica on September 22, 1998.
- Service inaugurated by RailAmerica as E&N Railway on January 8, 1999.
- Service to Port Alberni suspended during 2001.
- Nov 29, 2001 - RailAmerica announced that freight service would end on Dec 31, 2001, with passenger service ending in March 2002.
- Freight and passenger service extended month by month while a plan to save the railway was formulated.
- By late 2002, negotiations between the Vancouver Island Railway Coalition, RailAmerica and CPR ensured that service would continue.
- Mar 7, 2003 - Vancouver Island Railway announced its plans to take over operations by July 2003. These plans did not materialize.
- Feb 2006 - Island Corridor Foundation acquired CP-owned portion (Victoria-Nanaimo & Parksville-Courtenay) of ENR.
- Mar 2006 - Island Corridor Foundation acquired RailAmerica-owned portion (Nanaimo-Parksville-Port Alberni) of ENR.
- Operations taken over by Southern Railway Vancouver Island (SRVI) on July 1, 2006. First day of service was July 4, 2006.
- Washington Companies
|Unit ||Bldr. ||Model ||B/N ||F/N or O/N ||B/D ||History ||Acq. ||Ret. ||Notes|
|SRY 110 ||EMD ||GP9 ||21237 ||5472-6 ||7/1956 ||ex SRY 110, 2004; ex MRL 110; ex MRL 1897; ex BN 1897; nee NP 280 ||Jun 2006 || |
|SRY 119 ||EMD ||GP9 ||22743 ||5505-24 ||8/1957 ||ex SRY 119, 2004; ex MRL 119; ex MRL 1925; ex BN 1925; nee NP 340 ||Jun 2006 || |
Reporting Marks Reference
Return to CLASS III Shortlines
Last updated: Feb. 01, 2015