Halwill was a four way junction. The "main" line came in from the east and branched out to Bude, Padstow, and northwards to Barnstaple.
Halwill and Dunsland Cross were on the Bude branch, which ran from Halwill Junction in Devon to the Cornish town of Bude. Public trains first ran on the new railway, between Okehampton and Holsworthy, on 20th January 1879 with a daily coach from Holsworthy to Bude. The line was opened throughout on 10th August 1898.
The Beeching axe fell on the line on 3rd October 1966.