The Russell Place
bridge as it appeared c.1990, trains had not run through this
portion since c.1976. At 20'-9" high, this bridge measured the
highest of all the RV bridges. Photo taken
Wm. Wyer & Co.
Report on Rahway Valley Railroad
Place. One span deck plate girder bridge for one track.
Girders 50'-0" long. Underclearance 20'-9". Condition
See what this location
looks like today
The Rahway Valley Railroad's bridge over
Russell Place (MP 6.67) was one of four bridges the
railroad had through the City of Summit. These four bridges
effectively elevated the railroad and eliminated any possible grade
crossings through the city. The Rusell Place bridge was originally
constructed in 1905 as part of the railroad's extension to Summit.
This bridge, along with the one over Ashwood Avenue (MP 6.73), were
completed by October, 1905. Apparently the RV neglected to acquire
the necessary permits to construct the two bridges over Ashwood
Avenue and Russell Place. In the middle of the night the City of
Summit, utilizing a steam roller, pulled the two bridges down from
Nicholas C. J. English, General Counsel
for the railroad, negotiated with the City of Summit to acquire the
proper permits. It is unclear whether entirely new bridges were
constructed or the original ones, which were pulled down, were
utilized. Curiously, the concrete abutments are stamped
Although the bridge has not seen a train since
the formation of Conrail in 1976, it still remains in
|#13, Caboose #102, and a cut
of cars roll along the elevated RV mainline through Summit in this
1948 view. #13 is crossing Russell Place. Stephens-Miller, an RV
customer, can be seen to the left.