Rahway Valley Railroad #4
|Builder:||Dickson Manufacturing Company|
|Cylinders:||18" x 24"|
|Notes:|| Ex-DL&W Morris & Essex Division #92
Sold to Fitzhugh-Luther Company, 1903
#4 was originally owned by the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad. Constructed by the Dickson Manufacturing Company (C/N #45) in 1889, the locomotive saw use on the DL&W's Morris & Essex Division . Each of the DL&W's divisions had their own locomotive numbering systems. The locomotive that became #4 was originally #92 of the Morris & Essex Division.
The locomotive was refitted with a new boiler in 1895 and was subsequently sold to the railway equipment brokerage firm of Fitzhugh-Luther Company in 1903. The Rahway Valley Railroad purchased this locomotive in 1904.
According to various sources, #4 was not in the best shape mechanically. The locomotive is made mention of in an annual inspection of the railroad in 1908, "Recommendations - That before locomotive No. 4 is put in service again the boiler and stay bolts have an examination and such repairs made as are needed, that the boiler have a hydrostatic test, and that the flues be renewed."
#4 was retired in either 1910 or 1911 (Source: Frye ).
Head Back to the Station!