TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Old Time Trains


Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo

51 the very first TH&B diesel it and three other NW2's were built in the pre-GMD era. EMD #5703 12/1947
Chatham Street, Hamilton. 8/29/1983 Jack Smith

NOTE: Retired 11/1998 its preservation was arranged by R.L.Kennedy initially for the Toronto Railway Museum
at John Street roundhouse later, for a proposed tourist railway Waterford and Northern on the abandoned
TH&B branch between Waterford and Brantford. It was still-born. 51 was then acquired by OSR and
first used for a switching contract at the Petro Canada refinery in Clarkson. Long unserviceable at OSR.

51 sitting inside Chatham Street roundhouse. 5/26/1984

54 last unit of original four unit order. NW2 EMD 5706 12/1947 CP Rail Toronto Yard 9/22/1984

55 first unit of second four unit order and first GMD SW9 order. SW9 1200 HP GMD A-121 12/1950

57 with van 83. GMD A123 12/1950. Welland Yard. Sunday, July 26, 1987 A.W.Mooney

Note: Upgraded with 645 engine parts by TH&B.
Subsequent owner; Sold 5/23/1989 DD-GM 57 London for plant switcher.

Note the pole and chain for old style switching! Also, classification lights, oil burning converted to electric.
Last of a single four unit order. SW9 1200 hp GMD A-124 1/1951 Al Howlett

58 is no longer equipped with stack screens, or classification lamps nor pole (for polling cars).
5/28/1984 Alan Neibel/Allan Gaines Collection

Retired 2/1988 by CP Rail and sold 5/1988 for scrap. It was resold by the dealer through Ontario Locomotive (D) to
Brandywine Valley RR 8206, later becoming Upper Merion and Plymouth RR 9007.


GMD GP7 71-77 (55 mph 71, 72, 77 ATC). GP9 40-4-3 (75 mph S.G. ATC)

First GMD diesel built and first TH&B road switcher of a four unit GP7 order. A-117 8/1950
Chatham Street, Hamilton 8/11/1978 Jack Smith

Sadly, a piece of history was lost when it was destroyed in a serious level crossing affair
when hit by a tractor trailer at 12:28 p.m. 2/12/1980 mile 4.18 Welland Sub. Webber Road Smithville.

73 GMD A-119 10/1950 Hamilton 7/15/1978 W.Townsend

Note the backup horn on GP7's.

75 in Port Maitland. June 7,1982

76 GMD A-514 6/1953

A well-worn paint job was typical of TH&B engines in their latter years.
76 shown at Chatham Street roundhouse in Hamilton. Fall 1975 Michael Donnelly

GMD GP7 A-514 6/1953 part of a second and last order for three units 75-77.

Remanufactured by CPR 9/21/1987 as yard unit 1686.

Chatham Street shop track. July 3, 1976 GMD A-515 6/1953 Equipped with ATC.

402_403 at CPR John Street roundhouse. These units will be dispatched on Number 329
the "Buffalo" an overnight sleeper train to New York City.
Leaving Union Station 7.35 P.M. Daily.

Note: 401, 402, 403 equipped with ATC as well as steam generators. Operated long hood forward.


CPR Passenger Service Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo, New York.
CPR NYC TH&B steam, diesel and RDC era in Canada and USA.


Steam Generator Car

THB 500 (ex 502, nee NYC 5313) Converted 1955 to steam generator car to protect diesels on passenger trains.
Painted Tuscan Red to match passenger equipment. Seldom required it did supply steam heat to Chatham Street
roundhouse during winters.

 

500 Chatham Street. c.1984 Douglas A. Lister.

500 sold 1987 to Green Mountain for their excursion trains. North Walpole, NH roundhouse.

Preserved and renumbered as "NYC X5313" which never actually existed.

Relocated 2002 to Steamtown in Scranton, PA

 



Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009 2013 2017 2019 2020 2022