Canadian Pacific Railway
Rail Diesel Cars
The Rail Diesel Car (RDC) built by the Budd Company of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania was more evolutionary than revolutionary. This modern, self-propelled
stainless steel car was the end result of half a century of trial and
error by many companies that began on the CPR with a single steam powered
car converted from a standard wooden coach. Later, a few gas-mechanical
and battery-electric cars built new were tried as well. It was not until
the 1930's that successful gas-electric cars were built new in larger
numbers which continued in service into the 1950's.
Budd had a long history of building passenger equipment beginning in the
1930's and its use of shot welding stainless steel perfected this work.
Its biggest single order (173 cars) was for equipping the famous CPR train
The Canadian. Around this time Budd developed the modern self-propelled
RDC with a diesel engine first used for army tanks and a torque converter.
The CPR eventually bought 55 RDC's, the second largest fleet (after Boston
& Maine) of these Budd Cars as CPR employees called them. The Passenger
Department marketed them as Dayliner.
These very successful RDC's saved many passenger trains both on main and
branchlines actually increasing ridership for a time. Fast acceleration
and deceleration allowed them to reduce schedules considerably including
replacing the famous 3000 Jubilee 4-4-4's. Operating costs were
reduced considerably over a conventional steam locomotive hauled train
with a standard five-man crew replaced by as little as a conductor and
engineer on a single car train. A few still remain in use by VIA.
RDC-3 9020 sits at Angliers, Quebec end of a 117 mile
long branch from Mattawa. CRO Collection
It was a six hour run from North Bay, Ont. daily except Sunday effective
Mon. Nov.1,1953 as trains 48-49 and 47-50.
North Bay- Mattawa mainline 45.5 miles, Mattawa-Timiskaming 41.5 miles
and Angliers 116.9 miles.
The trains later (4/27/1958) ran from Chalk River (447-449, 448-450)
with connections to and from Ottawa. Service was changed and reduced to
tri-weekly and finally ended with the new time table effective Sunday,
October 30, 1960.
NOTE: This car was the part of the first order in 1953 for RDC's;
three RDC-1's (9050-9052) and one RDC-3 (9020).
These cars were received October 14, 1953 and put into service 10/19,
10/19, 10/27 and 10/27.
Two RDC's were for Toronto-Windsor-Detroit high speed mainline service
while one other was for Montreal-Mont-Laurier. It was this latter run
of 163.6 miles that the Budd Co. demonstrator 2960 operated on for three
weeks starting Feb.2/1953.
While the standard design of the Budd RDC-3 included an RPO section all
CPR cars had none with 30 foot baggage section.
RDC-3 9023 with two RDC-1's on northbound train. The man
in light coloured suit has just placed a large dog
in the baggage section aided by employee in long coat. Montreal West Sunday,
November 10,1957 Bob Krone
Two views of one year old 9053 (#5918 6/53) leaving Windsor
Station as Number 451 departing at 7:00 a.m. for Mont Laurier. This was
the only Dayliner service out of Montreal at this early date. Sunday,
July 4,1954 John Dziobko
9060 leads three other RDC's more commonly called "Budd
Cars" in suburban (commuter) service.
Montreal West. June 5, 1959 Joseph Testagrose collection
RDC-2 9116 leads six other Budd Cars at Montreal West
6/26/1962 Peter Cox
"Hockey Mask" visibility stripes with old CPR
Tuscan red side panels.
E&N No.1 9055 crossing Englishmans River near Parksville,
VI 7/29/1967 Bob Loat
A single RDC-3 was all that was needed at this low point
in traffic. 9023 passing shelter at Cowichan, VI
6/05/1968 Peter A. Cox
RDC-2 9114 leads two RDC-1's with 9058 trailing (see below)
This may well be the turn around point for this commuter
train (if #243) from Windsor Station (Montreal) five minutes later becoming
Number 254 due out at 12.30 p.m. Other commuter trains on this line ran
through to Rigaud.
Hudson, Quebec Thursday April 17,1969 Two views Jerry Appleman/Joseph