Hamilton and Dundas Street Ry.
Incorp. 1875 to build a steam railway between Hamilton and Dundas,
Steam dummy locomotive 4 a Baldwin compound engine.
This photograph includes engineer William (Billy) MacDonald. 1887 Note
link and pin coupler!
This information came from an old Hamilton newspaper (dated unknown),
provided by Clare Crozier
According to Harrison, a round trip ticket cost 25-cents, one-way was 15-cents, and during the months of July and August there were 'special' evening excursion rates of 10-cents. At the time of the interview Harrison, who was then living in Fort Worth, Texas, was visiting friends in Hamilton.
THE ROUTE: You have to remember street names have changed over the years. According to this newspaper article the tracks went from Hamilton to Dundas via the following route:
Main Street to McNabb Street South on Hannah (now Charlton
Avenue) West on Queen South to
NOTE: Extra engines were needed to make the climb up the McNabb and Sandbank Cut Grades. In 1900 the terminus was moved from Ferguson Avenue to the corner of James and Gore Streets.The McNab and Charlton route was abandoned and the trolley line went east on Herkimer, Then North on James to Gore. In Dundas the line was extended west to Fisher's Mill, then located on the site of the former Dundas High School.
Old Time Trains © 2017