Stories of the Local Lime Kilns as Printed in the Eganville
(from "Reflections of a Century: Stories and Photos from the Ottawa
Valley", published July 2002)
April 26 - The Jamieson lime kiln, located just east of the village, was
fired on Tuesday for the first time and the smoke of a new industry now
ascends day and night. The vicinity of the kiln has undergone a complete
transformation within the past year. The bush along the waterfront has
been cut down and cut into wood, and "Father Byme's" spring,
rich in pleasant memories of the past has been deprived of its inviting
surrounding - no longer to be a favourite resort to many from the heat
and burden of the day. On the kiln premises are piled about 2,000 cords
of four-foot wood, which it is estimated is a year's burning.
Eganville Will Have Most Up-To-Date Lime Plant
Due to the business ability and mining and metallurgical experience of
W. Basil George and the consulting mining engineers, Alderson, Mackay
and Armstrong, the Dominion Rock Products, Limited was formed and after
a campaign of diamond drilling, sampling, etc., the Company erected a
set of lime kilns. The kilns are of the most modem type, and embody the
latest improvements for the production of lime, and, when fully completed,
will be the most up-to-date lime plant in Canada.
The location of the quarries and general layout, including the Company's
own private railway siding, will make for a low cost of production. A
steel trestle 30 long and 50 feet high was erected by the Dominion Bridge
Company of Montreal. The steel kilns are product of the McGann Manufacturing
Company of York, Pa., and were erected under their personal, experienced
The product of these kilns will be a very high calcium lime and lime hydrate
which is used by the pulp and paper trade, mining industry, building trades,
agricultural fertilizer, paint and varnish manufacturers, chemical manufacturers
and many other industries.
Each kiln has a capacity of 12 tons of lime per day and requires about
four cords of wood per tonne of lime. These kilns are also designed to
use coal, but it is the intention of the Company to use wood, as long
as the prices of each remain the same. The company will require considerable
wood each year, which will give business to the farmers, and, as a result,
will also benefit the merchants of the town.
The company also owns a water power at Fourth Chute.
A drawing of the Dominion Rock Products Limited lime kilns built near
Eganville in 1927-28.
Injured At Rock Quarry
Mr. Thomas Donohue, employed by Dominion Rock Products at the limestone
quarries a few miles east of Eganville, was painfully injured in an accident
which befell him on Monday morning while at work. He was on the elevated
track between the kilns and quarry, and a loaded car hitting the loosened
end of a plank caused such a jolt that Mr. Donohue was pitched forward
and over the track. Falling on the debris of rock he was severely cut
about the face and head, and, in addition, suffered extreme shock. Fellow
employees went to his aid at once, and with all possible speed he was
conveyed to Dr. Galligan's surgery here. A short time after, the Doctor
had Mr. Donohue seated in his car, and, motoring to Pembroke, had him
enter the General Hospital for further examination and treatment.
Working in the lime quarries at the Fourth Chute, east of Eganville. From
the left, Doug Shane, Lawrence Aubrey, Gordon Gurlitz, Wm. J. Kruger and
Working in the limestone quarry east of Eganville. From left to right
are Jim or Clarence Kilby, Danny Tracey, Con Tracey and Frank Bochert
with his team, Farmer and Millie.
Lime Kiln Plant Resumes Operations
The decision of Dominion Rock Products Limited, with headquarters at Montreal,
to resume operations at its lime plant near Eganville, is viewed as the
first ray of light in 1933 to dispel the gloom of depression in this locality.
This lime kiln plant is of the most modem type and represents an investment
of a sum in the neighbourhood of $75,000.
The three steel kilns are the product of the McGann Manufacturing Co.,
of York, Pa., and were erected by the company. A steel trestle three hundred
feet long and fifty feet high, connecting the kilns with the limestone
quarried, was erected by the Dominion Bridge Company of Montreal. The
future of this enterprise is very bright. The location offers several
special advantages. The company has its own railway siding, the Bonnechere
river flows by the property and the company is the owner of the water
power at the Fourth Chute which has a capacity of 1200 horsepower, and
it is the intention to develop this when additional kilns are installed.
The product of the kilns will be a very high calcium lime and lime hydrate
which is used by the pulp and paper trades, mining industry, building
Mr. Robinson, the new manager, has had many years' experience owing to
his connection with several of the largest plants on the continent. Under
his supervision the preparatory work commenced on Monday. Mr. Greg. A.
George, of Montreal, is President of Dominion Rock Products, and Mr. W.
B. George of Eganville, Secretary-Treasurer.
Men Injured At Limestone Quarry
Two weeks ago Leo Tracey and Adolph Waldmann, working in the Shane limestone
quarry near the fourth chute, suffered serious injuries to their eyes
when a charge of powder in a five-foot drill hole, which they had been
tamping down, exploded. Both men received the full force of the blast
in the face and at first the most serious consequences were feared. They
were immediately removed to the home of Mr. Daniel Tracey, father of Leo,
and first aid given. Dr. Reeves was summoned, and Police Constable Johnston
of Renfrew who was on the scene shortly after, drove the injured men in
his car to Renfrew hospital. On Wednesday Leo Tracey, who was temporarily
blinded in both eyes, returned home with sight restored. Waldmann remains
in the hospital, and is thought he will lose the sight of the left eye.
New Company Takes Over Dominion Rock Products
A new company, the Federal Lime Limited, has taken over all the assets,
plant and equipment of the Dominion Rock Products Limited, the scene of
whose operations is about four miles east of Eganville on the Douglas
road. It is the expectation of the new Company, that, in due time, it
will develop a large business in the manufacture of lime and allied products.
The success of the new Company will react to the benefit of Eganville
and surrounding district. The head office will be established at Eganville.
Mr. Gregory A. George is President and Mr. William Lawson Secretary-Treasurer.
A Transfer of Lime Properties
The Shane Lime Chemical Company, Limited, has acquired the property of
Federal Lime Limited, located at the Fourth Chute about four miles east
of Eganville. On the property are three kilns which have not been in operation
for over a year. With the opening of spring, Shane Brothers will take
over the plant and lay plans for increased lime production.
Lime Company Suffers Loss By Fire
Fire caused damage to the property of the Shane Lime Company at Fourth
Chute on Sunday about the noon hour. The lime sheds, tools and paper bags
were consumed. It is thought the fire in some manner, had its origin at
the furnaces. The loss is estimated at $3500.
Shane Lime Works Change Ownership
The Shane Lime and Charcoal Company of Eganville have disposed of their
interest at their Fourth Chute Plant. On Saturday, June 15, the Carleton
Lime Co. of Carleton Place assumed new management. Their representative
is Mr. S.J. Neilson. Mr. W.J. Shane will continue in charge of the plant
and his brother, Mr. Douglas Shane, will be associated with him.
This plant, which has been known as Shane's Lime Kiln, was originally
formed by the Standard Chemical Co. of Toronto in 1913, and was located
just below the village limits, with the late John Shane as foreman. In
1923, Mr. Shane and his sons acquired all the interests. They also owned
the Charcoal Plant at Keamey, which was dismantled in 1943.
For 34 years the plant has been in operation, employing 17 men or more,
and running two or three kilns to keep up with the ever-increasing orders.
When the deposit of limestone became exhausted at Eganville, the Shanes
acquired the splendid layout of the Dominion Rock Products, halfway between
Eganville and Fourth Chute, acquiring also an almost inexhaustible supply
of rock, sufficient to guarantee the continuity of operations for years.
W. J. Shane Retires From Bonnechere Lime
Mr. S. J. Neilson, president of Bonnechere Lime Limited, announced the
retirement of Mr. W. K. Shane, works superintendent, as of the end of
Mr. Shane has been in charge of production operations for Bonnechere Lime
since this company purchased the physical assets of the Shane Lime and
Charcoal Co. Ltd., three years ago. Mr. R.J. Fillion is promoted to the
position of works superintendent. Mr. Fillion has been assistant to Mr.
Shane since moving to Eganville in 1957, and was previously in charge
of the plant operations of Carleton Lime Products Co., Carleton Place.
Bonnechere Lime Works Closes
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Fillion and family, residents of Eganville for the
past five or six years while Mr. Fillion was plant superintendent at the
Bonnechere Lime Products Plant at Fourth Chute, have returned to Carleton
Place, their former place of residence. Reason for the move is the decision
of the proprietor, Mr. S. J. Nielson, to close the plant until such a
time as a substantial lime contract can be negotiated. For some time,
a higher grade of limestone than that found at Fourth Chute was trucked
from Carleton Place, where Mr. Nielson has a similar operation, and processed
here, but this was found to be an uneconomical arrangement. Thus, the
decision to close was reached.
The lime industry is one of the oldest in this district and it is a pity
that the present action is necessary. Besides employing up to fifteen
hands, depending on how many kilns were burned - there are three on the
property - successive owners have always purchased large quantities of
kiln wood, from farmers in the earlier days, and slabs from sawmill operators
in later years. It contributed a great deal to the local economy and it
that changed conditions will enable them to reopen in the not too distant
Another Bit of Local History Is Dismantled
Sixty-three years ago, limestone cut from a nearby quarry made its way
high over the Fourth Chute road, between Eganville and Douglas, for the
first time on a newly-built tramway, to be dumped into one of three big
Ever since, motorists have passed under this tramway, marvelling at the
structure and its huge supporting towers. Abandoned for nearly 20 years,
many are unaware of the history behind the tramway and the lime kilns
and in recent years, the old site has become sort of an attraction in
itself. But it's all history now. The last piece of steel overpass was
dismantled and trucked away last Monday.
The steel overpass over the Fourth Chute Road that was used for carting
lime stone from the quarries in small cars on a railway track to the kilns,
and the kilns themselves were dismantled in 1987.
Map of the area (my pencil markings of the location of the CN & CP
rail lines - I'm unclear of the Douglas to Eganville route) EDB