Sunnyside has long been known for many things besides its railway station. In fact, the TTC was, and still is, far more significant with its Roncesvalles Divison car barn handling a number of streetcar routes including; King and Queen operating past Sunnyside along with Carlton, Dundas and Long Branch.. The street intersection was a very complicated arrangement with streetcars tracks connecting at all five points. The Five Points (four remain) intersection of Roncesvalles Avenue, King Street West, Queen Street West, The Queensway and Lake Shore Blvd. (This latter intersection was eliminated with the construction of the Gardiner Expressway which opened between the Humber River and Jameson Avenue in Parkdale on August 8, 1958). On the opposite corner (north west) to the railway station was a Gray Coach Lines bus terminal. Competition for the railways! An amusement park existed nearby for many years along with the largest swimming pool in Canada known as "The Tank".
Sunnyside Amusement Park (1922-1955)
TTC Long Branch route car just arrived at left. Below
car has looped around behind the hotel
Edgewater Hotel 14 Roncesvalles Avenue.
The Edgewater Hotel, (a.k.a. the "Bilgewater")
long a favourite watering hole for the area, stands near the north west
Sunnyside Bus Terminal circa 1940's
TTC 4740 Queen car eastbound. Check out that Buick!
TTC 4314 a King car is at south end of Roncesvalles
Avenue about to cross Queen Street West and turn east
Eventually, in later years under new ownership the building
got an update and operated as a
Days Inn for a few years.
Looking north at the Five Points of Sunnyside. Massive
rebuild of all tracks.
Looking west from roof of building on east side. Note
large waiting room for streetcar passengers.
Streetcar in distance is eastbound on Queen Street.
Welding machine in left foreground.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2014 2017 2019 2021 2022