Not much traffic in this view looking north up Keele Street. Two "horseless
carriages", two horse-drawn wagons
Just a little more traffic a few years later. Heintzman Piano factory
at the right.
The Bank of Toronto at right. Roof sign for British Consol cigarettes. Stack in distance is on Heintzman piano factory.
A lot more traffic in this busy street scene 25 years later on Keele
Street just north of Dundas Street with the subway in the distance.
TTC 2140 a Weston Road car is changing direction. Note how dangerous
this is with passengers loading in the middle of the street before crossing
over to the north track. This was changed when a piece of property to
the right was bought, buildings demolished to create an off street terminal.
Just ahead of the tarped truck is a West York Coach Lines
Weston Streetcar Terminal. Looking south on Keele Street towards Dundas
Note: The Bank
of Toronto building built in 1911 at 2854 Dundas Street West
is still there as are many others.
TTC 2132 (ex Toronto Civic Ry. 102 Niles Car & Mfg.Co.
8/1913) is destined only as far as Northland Avenue,
Taken six months after the previous on-street photograph second above. May 12, 1941 TTC.
Here is the same car 2132 at the north end of the Weston
route at Humber Street. It will return south from here.
Only Class H-1 Niles double ended cars 2128-2158 were used on this line. Note the railway-style walkover seats, easily reversed. They had double fare boxes, one for the TTC Keele route portion and the other for the York Township Weston route. They operated until September 13, 1948 when they were replaced by trolley coaches (buses). While the City Limit was at Northland Avenue the fare zone was actually a few short blocks farther north at Avon Crescent opposite Rogers Road for convenience in transferring between systems. Some St.Clair cars operated on Weston Road as far as the Avon Loop at least during the PM rush hours and did so for about 20 years after trolley coaches were introduced. This would serve the large number of workers leaving the Acme Screw & Gear plant.
CNR continued to operate 7 1/2 miles from Weston to Woodbridge until abandonment May 10, 1926 after which Roseland Bus Lines operated the service until they were taken over by the TTC on January 1, 1954 along with West York Coach Lines and other independent companies.
Looking in the opposite direction from the south side
of Dundas Street West in front of the old West Toronto City Hall.
Early buses looked like this pneumatic-tire White
Motor Company model 50A, first of three just acquired, TTC 16.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2017