Toronto Transportation Commission
Route 3 Rosedale route bus at Glen Road and South Drive. 11/08/1923
JANE route bus ran east along St.Clair Avenue West (past Canada Packers)
to one block east of Keele Street to wye.
Riders would then have to walk east over level crossing of CNR &
CPR tracks to reach streetcars at (Old) Weston Road.
The Dovercourt route was extended from there east to a new loop at Prescott
Ave. on the west side of another CNR track and again walk east across
the track to Caledonia Rd. loop for the St.Clair or Bay car. Underpass
and overpass at both
locations allowed St.Clair car to run west to Townsley loop and later
west to Keele Street. Photo: June 11,1928
September 8, 1928
Lambton bus route
Looking in the opposite direction from the south side
of Dundas Street West in front of the old West Toronto City Hall.
The TTC Runnymede bus came from Bloor Street where it wyed in the intersection,
via Runnymede Road and Annette Street and had recently been rerouted
to loop on streets via Mavety Street, Dundas, Keele and Annette. Schedule
sign on far pole. The Lambton bus looped via Anneette, Mavety and went
west on Dundas St.W. to Lambton Avenue (Prince Edward Drive) having
been extended there recently from the Lambton
House hotel at the Humber River. This was a separate fare service
operated for the Township of York and in later years used Gray Coach
Lines buses. It replaced the Lambton car abandoned August 18,1928. Note
the drinking water fountain, common on city streets for many years.
Now, you could die of thirst looking for one!
Early buses looked like this pneumatic-tire White
Motor Company model 50A, first of three just acquired, TTC 16.
November 20, 1924. City of Toronto Archives TTC Collection 3554
Beginning of fleet buses.
571 Twin Coach part of a 30 bus order which was followed in 1940 with
50 more. The "fleet" had begun.
Obviously posed with just two "passengers" on this short route
in "up-scale" Village of Forest Hill
before upscale was a common phrase and "village" was added
to every neighborhood!
Note the unique signpost at Dunvegan Road and Frybrook Avenue.
In 1967 the Village of Forest Hill was annexed by the City of Toronto.
Gray Coach Lines
Gray Coach Lines 645 signed for Lambton Prince Edward
Keele suburban route. Twin Coach 23 seat suburban c1937.
Parked at Hillcrest next to temporary wooden building used during World
War II for women's quarters at Davenport garage.
A lot of women took over men's jobs for the duration. Perhaps the driver
of this bus was in fact a woman!