Facebook Page
Old Time Trains
Toronto Power Company

The Toronto Power Company was formed from the consolidation of the Electrical Development Company and the Toronto Electric Light Co. Ltd. in the early 1900s. The Electrical Development Company was formed in 1903 by Mackenzie, Nicholls and Sir Henry Pellat of Casa Loma fame. The purpose was to transmit power from Niagara Falls to Toronto in order to supply the light and streetcar companies. Ontario Hydro purchased the Toronto Power Company in 1921. One source refers to Mackenzie's strategy of consolidating scattered holdings in Ontario under one unified ownership. This process was initiated in 1908 when the Toronto Street Railway assumed ownership, by means of a share transfer, of the Electrical Development Company of Ontario. The consolidation of Toronto's electric utilities continued in 1911 when Mackenzie outbid the city for control of the Toronto Electric Light Co. By late 1911, Mackenzie had forged a group of companies that controlled the generation, distribution and application of electrical energy in Ontario's largest urban market. Eventually, the City of Toronto took over the street railway operations and the Toronto Electric Light Company.


Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009