Photograph gallery 4
Diesels came to the yard first, with "Made in London" GMD SW8 800 HP yard switchers along with ALCO S2 1000 HP switchers 7062 and 7063 in Windsor. The last 0-6-0 anywhere on the CPR, 6275 finished up in Goderich yard at 12 Noon Saturday December 6, 1958 and was replaced by MLW S3 6589 until delivery in early May of 1959 of a new, tiny 500 HP CLC diesel-hydraulic switcher, number 17.
Road freight diesels came in the form of MLW RS-3's and FA2 "covered wagon" A and B units, later MLW RS-10's and RS-18's all of which were maintained at St.Luc (Montreal) as roundhouses everywhere were scaled back or closed down.
UP 1624 Alco FA1 leads eastbound freight at Streetsville.
One of 15 (7 A and 8 B) units leased in 1963 from UP to handle unprecedented
export grain traffic to Russia. Still equipped with manual transition
these units were rated at 10% tonnage reduction and operated only in
solid UP consists. These diesels were pulled out of the scrap line at
Other leased power included some surplus SOO Line power
including SOO 2224-A and a B unit seen here at Guelph Jct.
4025_44xx MLW FA1 77320 9/1950
Extra 8147 West with 8026 (a pup and a rocket!) The
"Pickup" was a regular pool job not an assignment.
Extra 8917 East at Sarnia Road, London. Train Masters were not common
Extra 4215 is making a move to either lift that A unit
or has just set it off. See man handling m.u.
Hooping up! Looks like the engineer about to grab the hoop. Fireman running 8471?
Hooping Up gallery across Canada
8407_8796 older and newer MLW power with opposite paint
8407 (single 4 unit order 8405-08) RS-2u 1600 HP MLW
6700 switching in Quebec Street Yard. August/1967 Wolf Kirchmeir
8163 SW1200RS Quebec Street roundhouse London October 1969 Bob Heathorh Collection
Woodstock area branch lines were operated by SW1200RS 1200 HP units, a Canadian-only GMD model designed specifically to replace D-10's and other light road engines. The CPR referred to these small road switcher units, and MLW RS-23 1000 HP road switchers officially as BLU's, Branch Line Units. Un-officially they were called "pups"! After their week's work was done on the branch they would be gathered up and sent out on a main line freight to Toronto and back. This increased wear-and-tear on the units which were on a lower maintenance schedule in consideration of their lighter duty compared to the more typical round-the-clock service of the bigger main line road units.
GP35 5024 (GMD A2123 1/1966) and FB2 4468 MLW 79161
A pair of MLW M630's 4500-4503 lead a westbound freight through Guelph
Junction. October 1969. Dave Burroughs
4501-5018-4221 westbound through the Junction. October 1969. Dave Burroughs
4090 FA-2 1600 HP MLW #79157 9/1953 and 8441 RS-3 1600 HP MLW #81006 5/1954
8488 part of the first order for GP9's that would eventually total
A-B-A covered wagons led by 4016 (2nd) near Ayr. 6/22/1973 Greg McDonnell/Joseph Testagrose Collection
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2011 2012 2015 2017 2018