Facebook Page
Old Time Trains

The ill-fated 2205 is seen leaving Lambton Yard, Toronto, assisting P2h class 2-8-2 number 5417 (first of 20 CLC engines built in 1943) on a London extra on September 9,1955. The 2205 met her end in company with 5420 at Galt eight months later. The locomotive always seemed to be somewhat of a Jonah as I encountered two bad trips on her. My second trip on 2205 took place a few weeks later. We did not fare as badly but it could not be called a smooth run. Galt Wreck.

It was early in April 1947 that I was called to fire 2205 on an assist to Orr's Lake with engineer Dan Sullivan. The only thing that was bright that day was the sun over the Lambton shop tracks. We backed onto our train, a London extra headed by 3725 an old "Mudhen" 2-8-0, Consolidation. When the brake test was completed and we were minutes away from departure, I noticed that the waterpump did not seem to be delivering the water to the boiler as rapidly as we would have liked. The waterglass stood at little better than a half and didn't move up very fast. Danny called across saying the rings of the pump must be worn and that he would use his injector to help out if we needed it. After a few minutes the water climbed the glass more quickly and Dan thought we would have no problems. As we got the highball to leave, the water was about normal in the glass. Things seemed to be working in our favour as we rolled along the main line, the stack batting out a crisp exhaust, as Dan hooked her up. We were hitting about 50 m.p.h. through Cooksville when, all of a sudden, the air went into emergency and we ground to a stop, holding up traffic on the No. 5 Highway crossing near the station (the present overpass was not built then). We learned from the headend brakeman that a coupler lock had lifted about fifteen cars from the head end, parting the train. After a delay of about 20 minutes we were together again and on our way. Blasting along about a mile or so east of Hornby station we noticed the water taking a nosedive in the glass, the pump was wide open and Danny couldn't get his injector on. There was only one thing to do, stop and try and get some water into the old girl. We pulled up in front of Hornby station, just clear of the 7th Line crossing. While Dan tinkered with his injector, I climbed onto the tender to check the water level in the tank. I began to worry if I had neglected to check the water at Lambton. Lifting the tank lid apprehensively I was happy to see water only a few feet down. When I got back to the cab, Dans injector was singing away and the water was up to about normal in the glass. We whistled off and once again resumed our run. All went well to Orr's Lake where we cut off from No. 3725 and returned in reverse to Galt, where we would turn on the wye. As we were threading our way through some switches at Galt station Dan called over to ask if a switch on my side was lined for us, not being too familiar at the time with the switch layout I thought the indication was set for us, however it wasn't, and Dan managed to stop her with the engine truck a foot from the open switch points. I climbed down and lined the switch up, returning to the cab I thought here comes a much deserved blast from the righthand side. However, being the gentleman he was, old Dan let it pass with a quick lesson on the switch layout in that area.

Resuming our trip back home, the pump seemed to be working and everything looked fine. However, as we were running through Islington there was a sudden "bang" and the cab quickly filled with steam, the waterglass had burst. This was one thing I had been well instructed in, and that was to get to the waterglass mountings quickly and close them off before the cab becomes inundated with hot fog. My adroitness in this situation was cause for Dan to call over that I had done a peach of a job. I asked if I should put in a new glass but he said to forget it as we would soon be at Lambton and the fitters could do it, just keep the pump cracked open and he would use his gauge rocks to ensure we had a safe water level.

Finally, we were safely spotted under the Lambton coal chute. As we walked away to book off, Dan exclaimed, "lets get away from the old bugger before she blows up"! This was an exceptionally bad trip with so many unrelated happenings taking place. As a rule, things were not that hectic though you had to be alert at all times for the vagaries of steam. W.H.N.Rossiter

Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009