Narragansett Pier Railroad
Here are some brief facts on the Narragansett Pier RR. | Pictures of Rolling Stock
- Charted in 1874.
- Eight mile RR built in 1876. ( This is one year
- after the Kingston Station was built at the current location
- in 1875.) The route started on the south side of the
- Kingston Station and ended at Narragansett Pier.
- It connected to the New York, Providence & Boston RR
- but it was not operated by that company.
- At Kingston it was parallel with the "mainline" track
- to allow passengers to transfer. In 1914 a long shed roof
- was attached to the Kingston Station and all along the
- platform so the south to shelter passengers during this
- change of trains.
- From Kingston Station it is 3 miles to Goulds crossing.
- ( This is the current location of the Curtis Corner middle school.)
- It is 4 miles to Peace Dale, 5 miles to Rodman Crossing in
- Wakefield, 6 miles to Sprague Park, and 8 miles to the
- Narragansett Pier.
- The Friends of Kingston Station have suggested to the
- RIDOT planners and the South County Museum Board
- to consider extending the current bike path into the South County
- museum compound, which is just beyond Sprague Park.
- The two main objectives of the Narragansett line were to
- provide freight service for the textile mills at Peace Dale
- and Wakefield, and passenger service to the resort community
- of Narragansett Pier.
- The Hazard family built the line and the Peace Dale Manufacturing
- Company was owned by Rowland G. Hazard & Sons.
- The Hazards sold the railroad in 1946 and the passenger service
- ended in 1952. The line was abandoned in 1981.
- Sources "Short Haul to the Bay" J. Henwood
- and "The Rail Lines of
- Southern New England" Ronald Dale Kerr
Compiled by Jack McCabe | Back to Kingston Station