AND AN UNIDENTIFIED TRAILER
The TTC purchased a total of 250 large, and 100 small, Peter Witt type streetcars between 1921 & 1923. During the same period, 225 trailers were also obtained to be used with the large Witt cars. All Witt cars were originally two-man cars, however, the entire fleet of small Witts were converted to one-man operation in the mid-1930's. Later on, several of the large Witts were also converted to a one-man car, but most remained as two-man until retired. As two-man cars, the motorman operated the car while the conductor, occupying a position just ahead of the centre door, collected fares, operated the centre doors and looked after the coal stove that was used to heat the car in cold weather.
Here we see passengers unloading on the Eglington carhouse loop, March 27, 1954, in the final days of streetcar service on Yonge Street. The new Yonge Street subway line would be opening for service on March 30th. The Yonge streetcars began looping at the Eglington carhouse on March 7th, with service north of Eglington being operated with motor buses. On March 27th, a new trolley coach route replaced the buses between the Eglington Subway Station and Glen Echo.