Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway
Compiled by Peter D.A. Warwick
- 1899 incorporated.
- October 1, 1899 St. Catharines & Niagara Central Railway purchased.
- July 19, 1900 electric interurban service begins over former St. Catharines & Niagara Central Railway line between St. Catharines, Thorold and Niagara Falls; St. Catharines terminal moved to corner of James Street and St. Paul Street, Niagara Falls terminal moved to corner of Bridge Street and River Road.
- August 15, 1900 Niagara Falls, Wesley Park & Clifton Tramway Company electrified, second to last horsecar line in Canada (Sarnia, Ontario, the last, converted in 1901).
- 1901 Niagara Falls, Wesley Park & Clifton Tramway Company formally sold to NS&T.
- February 26, 1901 St. Catharines - Port Dalhousie (west side) line opened.
- May 1, 1901 Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines & Thorold Electric Street Railway formally sold to NS&T.
- 1902 Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Navigation Company incorporated to run Port Dalhousie - Toronto passenger boat service using the Garden City (1892-1896, 1901-1917 on route) and Lakeside (1892-1911 on route). (The Garden City was built by Bertram Shipyards in Toronto in 1892. The boat operated until 1917 when it was layed up and sold. It was scrapped in 1935.)
- 1902 Lakeside Park developed by NS&T.
- 1906 new St. Catharines interurban terminal opens on St. Paul Street, south side, near Academy Street (now Carisle Street).
- June 1, 1907 Thorold - Fonthill line opened.
- 1908 Mackenzie and Mann (Canadian Northern Railway) purchased NS&T.
- May 4, 1908 Fonthill - north side Welland River opened.
- October, 1908 north side Welland River to Welland station opened.
- 1911 Dalhousie City built at Collingwood for NS&T Navigation, only new ship built for them.
- August 2, 1911 Welland - Port Colborne line opened.
- plans to extend line from Port Colborne to Fort Erie announced several times, but never constructed.
- December 1, 1913 St. Catharines - Niagara-On-The-Lake line opened.
- 1914 130 series interurban cars purchased from Preston Car & Coach.
- 1917 Garden City laid up and sold.
- 1920 Northumberland transferred from Prince Edward Island ferry service to NS&T Navigation for Port Dalhousie - Toronto run.
- 1922 area of Lakeside Park doubled to about 12 acres.
- 1924 - 1928 local lines in St. Catharines and Niagara Falls rehabilitated and expanded, new cars purchased, interurban lines rehabilitated and second hand cars purchased; local line to Merritton and Thorold not included in rehabilitation.
- during 1925-1926 tracks laid on King Sreet, St. Paul Street double tracked between James Street and Geneva Street and Welland Avenue double tracked between car barns (between Court Street and Clark Street, where Mid Town Plaza now is) and Geneva Street, St. Catharines.
- November 23, 1924 new Terminal and offices opened in St. Catharines at Geneva Street and Welland Avenue.
- February 15, 1925 Lundy's Lane line in Niagara Falls extended from Main Street to Winery Road (now Mouland Street).
- March 1, 1926 new Port Colborne Terminal opened using CNR station.
- June 7, 1926 all local streetcar service in St. Catharines and Niagara Falls converted to one-man operation.
- July, 1928 Tower Inn Terminal in Niagara Falls opened (on site of present Rainbow Bridge plaza).
- February, 1929 first regular local bus service started by NS&T in St. Catharines on the Geneva-York loop.
Pre NS&T| |1930 to 1961| |Bibliography| |NS&T Page| |Home Page