|NIAGARA, ST. CATHARINES & TORONTO RAILWAY|
ELECTRIC FREIGHT MOTOR 17
National Steel Car Corp., in Hamilton, Ontario, built eleven electric motors in 1918 for the Ontario Hydro Electric Power Commission for use in construction of the Queenston Power Canal. After its completion in 1921 the locomotives were sold. Details of the canal, and photos of these motors, appear in Chapter 18 of John Mills book 'Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto', published jointly by the Upper Canada Railway Society and the Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association.
Acquired by the NS&T in 1926, 17 was one of two motors purchased from the HEPC, the other being second #16. Both motors weighed 50 tons and remained on the NS&T until displaced by diesels in 1960. In September 1960 they were transferred to the Oshawa Railway (same numbers). #16 was sold to Noranda Mines Ltd. in 1965 while 17 was scrapped in 1964.
Lorne Hymers caught 17 at the NS&T Welland Avenue shops in St. Catharines on May 23, 1955.