Beamsville Electric Railway
Compiled by Peter D.A. Warwick
Last revised May 7, 2001
- operated electric interurbans (similar to streetcars, only faster and more comfortable) between the communities in its title.
- 1892 incorporated.
- October 17, 1894 Hamilton - Grimsby section opened.
- October, 1896 Grimsby - Beamsville section opened.
- line mostly side-of-the-road.
- 1900 carried 259,000 passengers, gross earnings $49,301, operating expenses $27,859.
- 1902 sold to Grand Trunk Railway.
- April 28, 1904 extended from Beamsville to Vineland with intent of continuing on to St. Catharines.
- 1905 sold to Hamilton, Cataract, Power, Light & Traction Company (1907 became Dominion, Power & Transmission Company).
- May, 1905 Beamsville - Vineland extension closed.
- November 18, 1907 new Hamilton Terminal opened by DP&T.
- December 28, 1919 Beamsville carbarn burnt destroying three cars, rebuilt.
- April, 1930 Ontario Hydro-Electric Power Commission bought parent DP&T.
- June 30, 1931 line closed.
- operated long lines of fruit express cars during fruit harvest.