|GALT & PRESTON STREET RAILWAY 23|
'Bought along with #22 from the New York Elevated Railway Co., (via the Ottawa Car Mfg. Co.) car 23 was delivered by the C.P.R. at Galt on July 18th (1894). It is made after the most modern style of the day and is 40 feet long. It has a 10 foot baggage compartment. The seats are finely upholstered, bevelled glass decorate the ends and fourteen incandescent electric lights hang from the ceiling. The car seats 30 passengers and has four electric heaters' . . . so stated a news item in the Galt Reporter the day after the cars were delivered to Galt by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
. . . so stated a news item in the Galt Reporter the day after the cars were delivered to Galt by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The above photo was taken with the arrival of the first car on Water Street in Galt. Lined beside it are some of the reception committee. The gentleman at the right holding a bag in his hand is believed to be the famous maker of hard, white pulled taffy blocks, by the name of Ward. He peddled the candy around the district, carrying a supply in a bag. The gent in the bowler hat is believed to have been Thomas Todd, one of the promoters of the railway. The next gentleman, wearing a typical sailor hat and with hands holding vest, is an ex Galt mayor, Justice of the Peace, operator of an oatmeal mill, David Spiers. The man with the cane is believed to be Hugh McCulloch Sr., one of Galt's most prominent industrialists. The next man is unidentified but the one beside him is believed to have been Martin Todd, President of the Galt & Preston Street Railway, while the others in the group are unidentified.
Car 23 was one of those lost in the Preston carbarn fire on the night of December 4, 1906.