TrainWeb.org Facebook Page

The Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad visit 6/24/2015



by Chris Guenzler



We left Boothbay Village and headed east on US Highway 1.to Warren and we found another train station.





The Warren Maine Central station. From here we drove to Thomaston to another former station.





The Thomaston Maine Central Station. From here we drove into Rockland.





Maine Eastern GP-9 100 in Rockland.





The Maine Eastern yard in Rockland. We drove to find the train station in town.







The Rockland Maine Central station. We then stopped at KFC to get some lunch to go and drove to Belfast and out to the City Point Railroad Museum Station and parked.

Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad History

The Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad was a standard-gauge shortline railroad that operated from 1871 to 2007 over a single-track grade from Belfast to Burnham Junction in Maine.

Chartered in 1867, the line was built between August 1868 and December 1870 by the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad Company (B&MLRR), which was majority-owned by the city of Belfast until 1991. For its first 55 years, the road was operated under lease by the Maine Central as its Belfast Branch, which provided daily passenger and freight service to eight stations over the length of Waldo County, Maine. After the MEC cancelled its lease in 1925, the B&MLRR began running trains under its own name. Passenger operations ceased in March 1960, although in 1988, the railroad began operating summer tourist trains to offset a decline in freight traffic. In 1991, the city sold its interest in the money-losing railroad to private owners. In 2007, the railroad ended operations as the B&MLRR.

Today, the line is operated by the non-profit Brooks Preservation Society as the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railway, and runs weekend excursion trains in the spring, summer and early fall between City Point, Waldo, and Brooks.

Organization and construction

The first attempt to bring a railroad to Belfast, a Penobscot Bay port city that was Waldo County's shire town, came on March 9, 1836, when the Maine Legislature passed "An Act to establish the Belfast and Quebec Railroad Company", but any prospects for financing the project were quickly killed by a provision in the Maine Constitution that prohibited public loans to build railroads and by the Panic of 1837. A second attempt to raise funds for the Quebec route in 1845 also failed, as did an 1848 proposal for a line from Belfast to Waterville, and an 1853 proposal for a line from Belfast via Newport, Dexter, and Dover, to Greenville on the shores of Moosehead Lake.

In 1867, a change in state law finally made it possible for cities and towns to help finance railroads through bond issues. The 47th Maine Legislature soon passed a bill to charter the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad Company, which was signed by Governor Joshua L. Chamberlain on February 28, 1867. Certificate 102 for three shares of the capital stock of the B&MLRR Co. were issued in 1878.

On April 6, 1867, and March 28, 1868, the people of Belfast voted by margins of 865-27 and 854-50, respectively, to authorize the city to issue 30-year, 6-percent bonds to finance their purchase of B&MLRR stock. The bond money bought a total of 5,004 shares of preferred (1,400) and non-preferred (3,604) stock at $100 per share. This would eventually represent 83% of the company's outstanding shares, the rest of which were purchased by several other towns along the line (Brooks, Unity, and Thorndike), and by about 100 private investors, mostly from Belfast and Boston. The corporation was formally organized on July 3, 1867, and after a year of planning, making detailed surveys, and acquiring additional financing, a contract was let to Ellis, Wilson and Hogan Co. of Canada on July 8, 1868, to build the line at a cost of $25,900 per mile.

Ground was broken on the Belfast waterfront on August 4, 1868, at what would become the site of the road's terminal and main yard (milepost "0") for the next 138 years. The railroad's "Last Spike" was driven near Brooks on September 24, 1870, completing a line that stretched 33.07 miles from Belfast inland to Burnham Junction.

Operations of the MEC Belfast Branch (1871-1925)

As the name of the railroad suggests, the original intent was to build the line 88 miles inland to Greenville on Moosehead Lake. Instead, the Maine Central Railroad leased the road, which connected with the MEC's Portland-Bangor main line at Burnham Junction. Located at the far end of Waldo County, the connection was at milepost 97 of the MEC main line, some 14 miles northeast of Waterville (MP 83) and 41 miles southwest of Bangor (MP 138).

Beginning on December 23, 1870, the MEC ran the line as its Belfast Branch. The railroad prospered under the MEC, with three daily round trips for passengers. Most freight during this period was southbound, consisting largely of grain for poultry production in the area, as well as smaller amounts of fish oil, leather, coal, lumber and fertilizer. Outbound freight originally included a large amount of processed fish from Belfast's processing plants; shoes and other manufactured goods from Belfast; farm products from Waldo, Brooks, Knox, and Thorndike; and milk from the Turner Center Creamery in Unity.

With the decline in American railroad profitability in the 20th century, the Maine Central discontinued its lease of the Belfast Branch on January 1, 1926. The operation of the newly independent Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad fell to the city of Belfast, and for the first time, the B&MLRR began running trains under its own name.

In the 1950s and 1960s, much of the freight was chicken feed for the area's poultry houses. The railroad dieselized in 1946 and scrapped its last steam locomotive (BML 19) in 1950. Through this period, the railroad continued to decline. Passenger service ceased on March 9, 1960, after the B&ML lost its U.S. Mail (RPO) contract. There was a burst of good freight business in the 1970s, but by 1990, freight traffic had ceased as well. In the early 1990s, heritage railroad tourist trains began running.

Tourist railroad

In 1991, the city sold its shares of the money-losing operation. The railroad changed hands rapidly since then. It operated diesel excursion runs from Belfast to Waldo and diesel- and steam-powered trains from Unity to Burnham Junction.

The railroad's relations with the city of Belfast deteriorated. In 1995, it built a new station in Unity (MP 24.95) and moved its headquarters there. The year also saw the railroad purchase a former Swedish State Railways steam locomotive for its Unity excursions. In 2004, the railroad ceased operations from Belfast; the following year, the city evicted the railroad from its waterfront yard after the company failed to make lease payments on the property. The yard's turntable and tracks there were pulled up and sold off; the site is now occupied by the Front Street Ship Yard.

The railroad suspended operations in 2007.

In February 2009, the Brooks Preservation Society (BPS) entered into an agreement with the Maine Department of Transportation to lease and restore the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad corridor with the intent of restoring railroad activity to Waldo County. BPS began railroad operations under the name Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railway, then changed to Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad.

During 2009 and 2010, excursion trains operated mostly over the line east of Brooks, Maine, with special-event trains over other sections. In 2011 and 2012, excursions operated out of Upper Bridge Belfast, Maine. Starting in 2013, excursions operated out of City Point Central Railroad Museum, allowing the City of Belfast to develop the corridor east of the museum as a walking trail.

Our visit



The City Point station.





Museum scene.





The Railroad Crossing sign.





The Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad Freighthouse.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad GE 70 Toner 53.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad passenger car 3248.





Unknown Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad passsenger car.





The old grade now a trail to Belfast where the trains once ran.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad Passenger Car 5680.





Unknown Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad passenger car.





Another unknown Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad passenger car.







Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad GE 70 Toner 50.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad caboose 31.





An old passenger car used for things other than riding.





City Point Railroad Museum scene.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad open air car 142.





Maine Central caboose 610.





CPC wooden caboose 606.





Outside braced box car 990 for railroad workers.





Box car 123.





CPC flat car 555 MW.





Maine Central caboose 640.





Maine Central caboose 656.





BML 23 Work Car MWF.





Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad GE 70 Toner 51.





Maine Central box car 9813.





Section House.





Maine Central box car 9862.





Museum scenes.





Maine Central caboose 610R.





Museum scenes. We would like to thank the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad for having us here today.

We drove back to US Highway 1 and soon found an ice cream joint that was closed but interesting.





Is this the old Searsport Maine Central station?





This is an old baggage car used for other things. We continued driving east.





The US Highway 1 Penobscot Bay Bridge towers. We drove onto Buckport crossing that bridge.





The Buckport Bangor & Aroostook station.





Views from the Buckport station. From here we drove up Maine Highway 15 to Bangor and our next stop of the day.



RETURN TO THE MAIN PAGE