California is partnering with other states to buy Talgo
BNSF has started putting local trains on a timetable and passengber trains
on-time-performance has improved.
New Business for Amtrak is operating Metrolink trains with improvements in
safety and on-time-performance. Also New Technology and New Investment
in Capital Funds.
- Wi-Fi on state supported trains in CA is coming.
- Nag - online ticketing for the 20% of Amtrak riders who are in CA
- National Safety Program called 'Safe 2 Safer'
- New Rail Car Orders - 130 single-level cars for $300 million
- Electric Locomotives - 70 for Sacramento
- Infrastructure Investments; ADA Improvements and Rolling Stock
The CA Central Valley HSR will be Merced to Fresno or Fresno to Bakersfield.
Amtrak might use HSR's first track, but would need high speed locomotives
California got $100 million for rolling stock plus more for PTC
Amtrak has an 80% fare box ratio
Private companies have approached Amtrak to return the LA-Las Vegas run.
Amtrak, with partners, will provide Florida's HSR
Amtrak has a HSR Group
The Coast Daylight's challenge is funding. They are working on finding
Mr. Merrill always gives an informative, no nonsense update on Amtrak.